Oct 15, 2008

Harambee Editor honored

Student wins journalism awards at JACC conference



HARAMBEE NEWS NETWORK


Harambee Managing Editor Reginald James was honored at the NorCal Conference of the Journalism Association of Community Colleges (JACC) October 11 at San Jose State University.
James, former Editor-in-Chief (EIC) of the Laney Tower newspaper at Laney College in Oakland, won first place in the News Photo competition. He also won second place in the Student Designed Advertisement contest and fourth place in the Informational Graphic contest. He also received an honorable mention for front-page layout for tabloid-sized newspapers.
"It is an honor to receive these awards and to be recognized," said James. "I hope that my achievement can be a source of inspiration for others, particularly African American students, who are too often missing in the newsrooms on campuses across the state."
"I will use the skills I learned at the Tower here at Harambee. I will share what I've learned with Harambee's staff," James added.
James served as Tower EIC 2007-08, as well as JACC NorCal Student President 2006-07.

No comments: