Nov 4, 2008

HISTORY!

Photo Courtesy of Shanghai Daily

Obama wins!

First Black President of United States


HARAMBEE NEWS NETWORK

Barack Obama has made history.

On Nov. 4, 2008, the world watched as the junior Democratic Senator from Illinois was elected the 44th President of the United States of America.

“If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible; who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time; who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer,” said President-elect Obama.

Running on a platform of “Change,” Obama captured 365 electoral-college votes, besting Republican Presidential nominee Arizona Senator John McCain’s 162. Two hundred and seventy votes are needed to win.

After thanking his campaign staff, the “love of my life” his wife Michelle, he thanked his two daughters who “earned thatnew puppy that’s coming with us to the White House,” said Obama.

He also thanked his grandmother, who passed away Monday night.

“And while shes no longer with us, I know my grandmother is watching, along with the family that made me who I am. I miss them tonight, and know that my debt to them is beyond measure,” said Obama.

“Yes We Can,” said Obama.

For Obama’s complete speech, click here.

No comments: